A Karnatak girl brought up in Hospet, Belgaum, and Bijapur, Swapna Rajput is a chirpy girl residing in Thane, Mumbai. Having completed her post graduation in Marketing, she has worked in the marketing sector for 5 years. Writing was her hobby since her teenage years and as a writer she loves to write romance. Let’s get to know her more-
- Tell us something about your recently published book Amazing Legends of India.
My genre is romance; my books The Beautiful Roses and In search of a Soulmate are romantic novels. Amazing Legends of India is my first attempt to pen history for the reason that I love reading about Indian history and our legendary heroes.
If we wish to know about any legends, we have to either search on internet or read various books, which have vast info and are obviously time consuming, so it is always tough to gather knowledge about Indian legends from various sources. So I thought, why not compose a single book with short and true information about all the legends of India from the time of mythology till 18th century, and composed this book which contains all the important, known and unknown Indian legends stories.
- When did you start writing?
I started writing when I was in high school. I wrote shayaries, short storie,s and jokes which were published in Kannada magazines. Later, I took long gap due to my academics, career, and marriage. In 2010, I quit my job and decided to be a full time writer and published my first book The Beautiful Roses in 2011. It is a first Hinglish book, an anthology containing 6 romantic stories. And the rest is history…
- Interesting! What is the purpose of your writing?
It is my passion, writing gives me wings. I am a daydreamer and writing is my source to make those dreams come true.
- Which of your works have been published so far?
I have published many Shayaries, short stories etc., in magazines previously. As far as books are concerned –
- The Beautiful Roses (First edition published in 2011 and second edition 2015).
- Amazing Legends of India (First edition published in 2015, and now I am publishing second edition in this April)
- In search of a Soulmate- First published in Jan 2017.
I do write articles on various topics @ my blog- www.swapnarajput.in
- So how was this journey of becoming a published author?
It’s a dream come true! I feel awesome to see my imaginations and stories come true in the form of books. Publishing efforts are endless. We, authors have to maintain the patience and keep on writing and promoting, toughest part of this job editing and promotions.
- Which approach is better according to you: traditional or self-publishing, and why?
There is nothing like traditional publisher or self publisher. Both charge money to publish. Traditional may charge less but pay low royalty and Self-publisher may charge more but pay good royalty. Both do promotions on paid basis.
- Which approach is better according to you and why?
Self publish is easy, no waiting to see your work published.
- What should the beginners do today?
First of all they should trust their work and publish it, no matter which publisher. Don’t think about fame or earning money, that will flow in one day. Publishing a work is very important as it stays for life and beyond that.
- What is your take on book publishing as you see the current scenario?
Lots of publishers emerging these days; this business is growing fast with several competitions. Earlier, it was not the scenario; only traditional publishers were present in the market and would work on their own policy, but with a bang of self -publishers the market has lots of scope for ambitious authors.
- True. Sounds intriguing. What are the four top most things you take care of while writing a book?
- Page turning flow
- It should have a message for the society
- It should be paisa vasool and entertaining for the readers
- What is your favorite genre and why?
Romance; I am ingenious to narrate romance with all the romantic ideas with my fictional characters.
- What / Who is your biggest source of inspiration in life?
I give different funny answers whenever this question comes up! *winks* Inspiration comes from each and every person, thing or place, so all are an inspiration to me. Although, I observe a lot, and imagine more realistically, take time out from my hectic schedule to write, I don’t compete and write in my own unique way. So, I would say I am an inspiration for myself. *laughs out loud*
- What is the biggest challenge you have ever faced and how did you overcome it?
Writing while taking care of my small kid is a biggest challenge ever! Recently, this book Amazing Legends of India has quite a number of editing issues due to negligence by my previous editor; I went for publishing the book as the deadline was close by, but couldn’t do much of marketing and promotion due to the same reason. In the meanwhile, I was busy completing my new romance idea In search of a Soulmate throughout 2016, and now back with this book; I got it done with all the good editing and soon it will be ready with all the freshness.
- If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?
I am happy living my own life, as you never know whose life is good or bad from inside. Everyone is living their own life with their own struggles and happiness so there is no point in peaking into anyone’s life or getting into their body! *laughs*
- And finally, any message for the readers?
This era of stressful life, work, competitions absorb everything from an individual, technology and social media life is cherry on top to distract one from his/her goal. People spend hundreds of hours a week reading forwards, useless messages, jokes and thus, are addicted to their smart phones, which actually are making us dumb!
So taking time out from all this hectic & addictive life of technology, holding a book in your hand to read, you readers are doing a great job! Thank you! And keep it up, hence you read we write!
So that was Swapna for you, author of “The Beautiful Roses” and “Amazing Legends of India“.
You can get in touch with Swapna directly at: http://www.swapnarajput.in
Contact Madhuri for your author interview and getting your book reviewed / edited: email@example.com
P.S. Please RATE the post. Hover on the stars and mark it. And LIKE the post if you like the interview.